Re: [Xen-devel] An Introduction to the Xen-API Work

To: Patrick O'Rourke <porourke@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] An Introduction to the Xen-API Work
From: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 18:45:56 +0000
Cc: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 10:46:07 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 01:29:49PM -0500, Patrick O'Rourke wrote:

> Ewan Mellor wrote:
>
> >  o  xm suspend - Save a VM to a location under Xend's management
> >  o  xm resume  - Resume a VM from that same location
>
> Does this preclude running Xen in an environment with no persistent
> storage?  For example we now suspend to pipe which actually results in
> the suspend image being stored off the Xen host.

We've not taken xm save and xm restore away, so you can still use them if you
know what you're doing.  We're trying to encourage people not to do that,
because of the non-obvious (but very real) risk to their data, but if it's
integrated into a wider protective framework, then that's fine of course.

Would you like an API call that better supported this use-case?  In the long
run, might your integration be easier if Xend supported "save to this
address/port" or something like that?

Ewan.