RE: [Xen-devel] Is anyone working on HVM Paravirt drivers for windows?

To: "Ben Thomas" <bthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Is anyone working on HVM Paravirt drivers for windows?
From: "Vessey, Bruce A" <Bruce.Vessey@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 12:08:02 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dave Cameron <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:56:13 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
It would be nice if somebody releases HVM paravirt drivers for Windows as open
source, but I'm not holding my breath.  Why?  Because of the Microsoft DDK
license.  There's no requirement that a Windows device driver developer use the
Microsoft DDK, but in my experience most do.  The typical methodology for a
Windows driver developer is to take the sample code from the DDK as a starting
point, and build the driver from there.  But the DDK has some interesting
licensing restrictions that, to me, don't look compatible with open source.
The Microsoft DDK license is available at
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/ddk/ServerSP1DDKEULA.mspx  Sections 3 &
4 look particularly problematic.

Maybe somebody out there is developing (or has developed) Windows drivers
without any encumbrances from the Windows DDK.  I think that's the only way
we'll see open source Windows drivers.

           - Bruce