RE: [Xen-devel] Xen not very green?

To: "Tom Horsley" <tom.horsley@xxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Xen not very green?
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:30:37 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:53:29 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Is your non-Xen kernel running power-management (cpufreq and friends)?
It is possible to do that on Xen also, but it's not compiled in as
standard, and I don't remember if the patch for it is applied to Xen or
you have to get the patch from somewhere... [Although if you run more
than Dom0 on the system, severeal potential problems crop up, the most
immediate one is that Dom0's CPU usages becomes the deciding factor for
the entire system, and the DomU's cpu speed will not be updated by the
changes in the Dom0!]

Of course, there are some other factors that may also affect the power
consumption of the processor:
1. There is more code to run in Xen - even in "idle".
2. All of the interrupt handling, task switching, page-table management
and such is more complex with Xen than with the stock linux kernel - all
of which affects even the system when idle, since even an idle system
will do some sorts of "housekeeping behind the scenes" that you don't
necessarily see in the overall performance of the system, but does
happen still.

This is of course just theories, I haven't actually studied the exact
behaviour of the CPU in the two cases...

--
Mats