[Xen-devel] Re: 32bit HVM PV drivers on 64bit hypervisor

> I onced played with your PV-on-HVM driver before it is checked in into
> unstable, I remember at that time, there is a XENFEAT_64bit_shared_info
> flag to handle situation of 32bit guest on 64bit hypervisor, at least
> vnif works fine with it.
>
> Later, when the code is checked in, this flag is gone. At first I though
> this was an effort to make hypervisor more transparent to HVM guest, but
> now I found 32bit guest vnif refused to work on a 64bit hypervisor. It
> seems this part of code has never made its way into unstable?
You're right: this worked in the pre-checkin version of the PV-on-HVM
drivers, but doesn't work in current unstable.  When the rest of the
work was checked in, the consensus was that a guest-visible feature
flag probably wasn't the right way of handling the ABI differences,
and so that part was left behind.

I think the hope is that 32-on-64 HVM mode will come for free once
32-on-64 PV mode is working, but I'm afraid I haven't been following
this work particularly closely.

Steven.