Re: [Xen-devel] A couple of questions about Xen

To: Eric Benton <benton71@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] A couple of questions about Xen
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:34:55 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:46:32 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 26/10/06 7:31 pm, "Eric Benton" <benton71@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks Keir for the fast response!

To implement the PV-on-HVM, have you used a PCI probing in the hypervisor?
I don't get how you left the HVM operating system unmodified? Is it a FE/BE model? Does the HVM uses the "old" dom0 FEs?

There’s a fake PCI ‘xen platform’ device that triggers loading of our PCI driver in the HVM guest, and we hook everything else off that event.

All the magic to do PV-on-HVM is hidden in our xen-platform driver, so there is no modification to the core HVM OS kernel.

 -- Keir