Re: [Xen-devel] Crash with 3.0.3 on domain creation

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Crash with 3.0.3 on domain creation
From: Jacob Gorm Hansen <jacobg@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 13:08:17 +0200
Cc: xen-devel <Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 04:08:45 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 08:32 +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 18/10/06 11:18 pm, "Jacob Gorm Hansen" <jacobg@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I have tried switching xen-3.0.2 compat. mode on and of in dom0 and
> > domU, but that has zero effect. The guest kernel is a vanilla domU,
> > compiled from the same xen tree as xen and domU. I have verified that I
> > am not using stale .so versions or anything like that. xenstored and
> > xenconsoled are both running. Things worked fine in xen 3.0.2.
>
> I can't imagine this will be hard to track down. Since it's in domctl() this
> will only be triggerable from dom0. It'd just be nice to know whether the
> Python tools can trigger this.

Got back to this and found the problem: If xc_domain_max_vcpus() is not
called before the domain gets build, Xen will crash when trying to test
for the HVM guest bit in the hvm_guest() macro. Would it make sense to
start out with one rather than no vcpus to prevent this crash?

Jacob