Re: [Xen-devel] Status of xvd and problems with sd.

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 10:01:28AM -0400, Jimi Xenidis wrote:

> Ewan, any thoughts on this issue?
> -JX
> On Oct 23, 2006, at 10:43 AM, Jimi Xenidis wrote:
>
> >On PPC we have the following problem with xm-test:
> >  http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenFaq#head-
> >baa7000e8fc28fd168650114dd2741b7f21da8fa
> >
> >Where we are told:
> >  "all you need to do is disable the entire scsi subsystem"
> >
> >This is undesirable since our (the XenPPC Team) goal is to have one
> >Linux image to run everywhere.
> >
> >We could switch over all the xm-tests to use xvd (Xen Virtual Block
> >Device), but before we do that we'd like to know what the support
> >for xvd is and what if any issues/opinion are there with doing this?

We really should start switching over to using xvd.  We've been allocated that
major for exactly this reason -- to ensure that one Linux image can have both
the real SCSI subsystem and the Xen frontend drivers at the same time.

If you would like to do the work to switch xm-test over to use xvd, that would
be greatly appreciated.  xvd has not been widely tested, and extending the
coverage to xm-test would be very useful indeed.

Cheers,

Ewan.