[Xen-devel] PCI quirks with via82xx soundcard / sysfs paths

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] PCI quirks with via82xx soundcard / sysfs paths
From: Mario Manno <m.manno@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 17:52:03 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 09:34:52 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I'm trying to get a via82xx onboard soundcard working in a domU.
So far it only works, if I enable permissive mode with:
echo "Y" > /sys/module/pciback/parameters/permissive
I still can't hear any sound, but the modules load fine and i can use
the alsamixer. (which most likely is unrelated to xen)

I tried to use xend-pci-quirks.sxp, but the python script fails, because
there is no /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/quirks.

Adding the card to /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/permissive fails with:
Error: pci: failed to open/write/close permissive sysfs node: [Errno 13]
Permission denied: '/sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/permissive'

The part of the documentation dealing with pci quirks and permissive
seems to be outdated. See user.pdf page 29/30.
The section about binding works perfectly, though.

I'm running debian amd64 with xen hypervisor and utils at version
3.0-unstable+hg11561-1. Two nic ports (dlink 4-port nic) are reassigned
to the domU and work fine.

lspci -n gives the following output (11.5 is the soundcard):
00:00.0 0600: 1106:0204
00:00.1 0600: 1106:1204
00:00.2 0600: 1106:2204
00:00.3 0600: 1106:3204