Re: [Xen-devel] SPEC cpu2000 will always fail for ia32 smp hvm guest

To: "Zhao, Fan" <fan.zhao@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] SPEC cpu2000 will always fail for ia32 smp hvm guest
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:09:24 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:09:51 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 10/10/06 16:43, "Zhao, Fan" <fan.zhao@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If I assign 1G memory for native, 'cat /proc/meminfo' shows the MemTotal is
> 1034672 KB, while 'cat /proc/meminfo' shows the MemTotal is 1033800 KB if
> assigning 1G memory for hvm guest.
> From my test, cpu2k needs no more than 900M memory to run with 4 users. If I
> assign 1.2G memory for hvm guest, the free memory is more than what is freed
> when assign 1G memory for native while running cpu2k, but it will still fail.

I wonder if SPECint tries to work out how much memory it has available to it
in some way, and decides how big to make test-program heaps and so on based
on this. Clearly something must be different in the environment to explain
this difference, since the kernel and application bits are the same in both
cases and HVM has the same or more memory and yet fails. I suspect this one
will remain a mystery for a while. :-)

 -- Keir