Re: [Xen-devel] reasons/requirements for some of patches/linux-2.6.16.29

To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] reasons/requirements for some of patches/linux-2.6.16.29/*
From: "Andrew Warfield" <andrew.warfield@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 18:08:10 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Andrew Warfield <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 18:08:35 -0700
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=beta; d=gmail.com; h=received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=Z/HOVIE6b1Z5/dRkvlTSYiLflgwqFpxO9znrUuENL0qnh4moREi3D4tLaHjbI8ahU0XH4porIONq4MFNQ7jtC9q7tzNHuXv+p9SMCxHqTmSeIhbgyirTqgXz7WvaJb4I+xsexH1FlTiMVEoH4rqIi3ITzVEJDQRrkcuQVv9SJvE=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Could anyone give a description (and reason it is needed for Xen, if that's
> not obvious from the description) for each of
>
> blktap-aio-16_03_06.patch

Not sure. Andrew Warfield or Julian Chesterfield probably will know. I would
guess it's probably a backport of AIO changes from a more recent kernel, but
I'm not certain about that.

The patch allows polling of aio and non-aio file descriptors through a
single call.  It's a stopgap that was sent to the aio devel list and
is there in anticipation of a solution for mixed polling in linux.

The old approach was to have a separate thread to call aio_getevents
and signal that to the main poll loop through a pipe -- it's no less
ugly, but keeps changes to user space at a cost in performance.

a.