Re: [Xen-devel] Infinite loop on reboot with 3.0.3 and crash_debug=y

To: Chris Lalancette <clalance@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Infinite loop on reboot with 3.0.3 and crash_debug=y
From: Muli Ben-Yehuda <muli@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 23:16:56 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 14:17:22 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 05:06:31PM -0400, Chris Lalancette wrote:

> But because the dom0 has gone away, we are not in guest mode
> anymore, and so we hit the panic.  The panic is handled in
> drivers/char/console.c, which has another call to
> debugger_trap_immediate, which generates the int3, which gets us
> into the infinite loop.  Reverting the change noted above goes back
> to the old behavior (i.e. actually rebooting :).  I'm tempted to say
> the debugger_trap_immediate has no business being in the panic
> function, but I'd like to hear other opinions on it.

Last time I checked, dom0 was pretty good about using the correct
SHUTDOWN_xxx flag to indicate whether this is a "planned" shutdown or
a panic. Calling into debugger_trap_immediate() may be fine for a
panic (assuming there's a debugger there to avoid the infinite
loop...) but doesn't make sense for planned shutdown. My .02 ILS.

Cheers,
Muli