Re: [Xen-devel] GPL release of Virtual Iron sources

To: Ben Thomas <bthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] GPL release of Virtual Iron sources
From: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 21:37:18 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 13:38:35 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 02:08:22PM -0400, Ben Thomas wrote:
> Some of the more interesting features are:
>
> - a different control plane model in domain-0 (no user accessible
>     environment, no Python, no xen* daemons, etc)

This is intriguing - do you have any docs about this alternate control
plane which elaborate on its architecture & API, and the benefits it
brings over the current control plane ? When 3.0.4 development starts,
the new control API will be one of the core bits of work so understanding
this work you've done is very topical. Even if there's no desire to do
wholesale replacement of the Python daemons, ideas/lessons learnt from
the API / network protocols may well be valuable.

> - source code for domain-0 and hypervisor
>    See http://www.virtualiron.com/products/open_source.cfm

Is the alternate Dom0 control plane agent code here compatible with the
current Xen unstable/3.0.3 HV & Dom0 kernel, or does it have dependancies
on changes you made to HV / dom0 too ?

Regards,
Dan.