RE: [Xen-devel] Building firmware on NetBSD

To: "Pierrick Brossin" <pierrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Building firmware on NetBSD
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 17:17:49 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 08:18:37 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It's "different", and faster than qemu, for sure - if it's not, then
something is wrong with Xen... Qemu emulates instructions, Xen fully
virt guests only have certain instructions emulated in Xen. It uses qemu
to perform hardware accesses, such as hard-disk interface and network
card, but not for the instructions that are executed in the guest.

> Is it faster ? Is it completely different ?

Should be faster, as long as you don't spend 100% of the time doing disk
or network accesses [in which case the difference is probably in QEMU's
favour - but difference would be small anyways, as most of the time is
spent simulating the IO access, and little time actually performing some
"real" work].

--
Mats