Re: [Xen-devel] PAE, Elf headers, and Extended CR3 registers

To: Randy Thelen <rthelen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] PAE, Elf headers, and Extended CR3 registers
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:40:39 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 02:39:30 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
'Extended CR3' means that, on PAE, we fold the higher-order bits of the page
directory address into the low-order bits of the 32-bit virtual CR3 value.

See the xen_pfn_to_cr3() and xen_cr3_to_pfn() macros in
xen/include/public/arch-x86_64.h.

In general the guest OS does not manipulate CR3 values at the hypercall
interface, so this is not an issue (e.g., the hypercall for switching
pagetable base pointer takes a page frame number). The one exception in
Linux was that SMP booting required writing a CR3 value into a vcpu_context
structure. So that's the only place we use those two conversion macros.

 -- Keir