Re: [Xen-devel] save image file format

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] save image file format
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:42:54 +0100
Cc: John Levon <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 05:43:21 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> There also remains the question of supporting older Xens. I don't
> believe that anything other than migration back-compatibility is
> interesting in this case, and presumably this can be handled reasonably
> easily by a slight refactoring of xc_linux_{save,restore} (on the
> presumption that people will want to migrate both to and from such older
> dom0's), and falling back to compat mode when the new negotation API
> fails.

I wonder how necessary even this is; there's no strict guarantee that domains
running on newer Xens will even be able to run on older Xens if migrated
there.  I guess you *might* want to be able to migrate older->newer (that's
probably that you meant anyway) so that you could perform an upgrade.  This
does run the risk of confusing users with non-symmetric migration, however.

Just wondering if it's worth the hassle, but I guess it'd be nice not to
require a whole cluster to have the same Xen/dom0/tools configuration.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!