RE: [Xen-devel] VMX status report 11394:96a4379be74a

To: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ye, Yuanqing" <yuanqing.ye@xxxxxxxxx>, "Zheng, Jeff" <jeff.zheng@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] VMX status report 11394:96a4379be74a
From: "Yu, Ping Y" <ping.y.yu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 13:31:45 +0800
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 22:33:52 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>Before starting the 4th guest, please change to a text mode console
>(ctrl-alt-f1) and start the guest from there. See if you get an oops
>message.
The text mode console shows nothing when dom0 hangs.

>> Exactly what kind of guests are you starting simultaneously,
>> and on what hypervisor (e.g. PAE?).
>>      we start ia32 non-pae smp guest OS on ia32 hypervisor.
>
>Just to confirm, that's a non-pae hypervisor? Do you get the same
>starting a non-pae guest on a 32b pae hypervisor? [this is by far the
>most tested combination]
Yes, this is a non-pae hypervisor. We have tried 4 non-pae guest in 32b
pae,
and those VMXs could be started successfully.

>> > - Sometimes build base kernel 2.6.16 in IA32SMP guest fails
>> on 32bit
>> > platform.
>>
>> In what way does it fail? Does the guest VM crash? Does the
>> make segfault?
>>      Guest didn't crash. See attachment
>> "kb_ia32_smp_failed_1.JPG, kb_ia32_smp_failed.JGP" for some
>> error messages from building kernel. In fact, we get various
>> error messages. Build kernel in IA32PAE SMP VMX domain and
>
>Which hypervisor does the error occur on?
Kernel build problem exists in non-pae 32b hypervisor and this problem
is
still there in latest xen-unstable tree.