RE: [Xen-devel] qemu-dm cpu utilization

To: "Puthiyaparambil, Aravindh" <aravindh.puthiyaparambil@xxxxxxxxxx>, "George Dunlap " <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx>, "McAfee, Tommie M" <Tommie.McAfee@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] qemu-dm cpu utilization
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 00:08:53 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:09:20 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > 1024x768 is the 'recommended'. I don't think the emulated Cirrus
card
> > had enough video memory to do full-colour in higher resoloutions.
>
> We have been doing all our testing at 800x600 and I don't think we can
> go lower than that with W2k3.
>
> Any pointers to why this could be happening?

Are you explicitly setting 800x600? I thought w2k3 installs defaulted to
1024x768, but maybe I'm confused.

When you disconnect the vnc console qemu should stop scanning the
framebuffer RAM. The fact that the CPU usage doesn't go down is odd.
Perhaps try attaching strace or gdb to the qemu-dm to get an idea of
what the loops is?

Thanks,
Ian