[Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-changelog] [xen-unstable] Replace dom0_ops hypercal

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-changelog] [xen-unstable] Replace dom0_ops hypercall with three new hypercalls:
From: Hollis Blanchard <hollisb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:59:06 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 08:58:57 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 2006-08-26 at 15:10 +0000, Xen patchbot-unstable wrote:

> >From here on we hope to maintain dom0 kernel compatibility. This
> promise is not extended to tool compatibility beyond the existing
> guarantee that compatibility will not be broken within a three-level
> stable release [3.0.2, 3.0.3, etc.].

That's not going to be true for PowerPC and soon IA64.

Because of Xen's use of pointers for hypercall parameters, we need the
kernel to translate virtual addresses to physical addresses. That means
any time a new hypercall is introduced to the tools, our kernel needs to
change to translate the new data structure.

The same thing is true because of the 32/64-bit data structure size
changes -- the kernel needs to translate data structures because of that
as well.

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center