Re: [Xen-devel] pointers in public headers

To: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] pointers in public headers
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 16:25:47 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 08:26:01 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 25/8/06 4:13 pm, "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, they present a lurking problem once the converted structures get
> accessed - clearly any kind of pointer is invalid when considering
> compatibility
> mode guests. I could certainly try to make the script catch them and convert
> them (to a integer type), but then the automation of copying the respective
> fields will trigger compiler warnings about converting integrals to/from
> pointers of different size.
> So, yes, some kind of macro would help, but I can't see how you would
> want to get away with not breaking API compatibility (which requires to
> leave a pointer in there somehow) but eliminating the pointer.

I don't know enough about the scheme you are implementing to be able to
comment. I mean API compat from the p.o.v. of guests -- any macro would only
be defined as other than a plain pointer for Xen and your scripts, which
would presumably know what they're doing and avoid compile warnings.

 -- Keir