Re: [Xen-devel] xen tftpboot

To: Weikuan Yu <wyu@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xen tftpboot
From: Jacob Gorm Hansen <jacobg@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:39:31 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:43:13 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 12:19 -0400, Weikuan Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anybody has experience doing tftpboot (pxeboot) of xen? I do not seem to
> find any hints from googling.

I used to have this working using grub. It is no different from booting
linux using TFTP and Grub, however the problem with Grub is that last
time I looking network driver support for modern cards was limited. In
the end I made things work using an experimental patch which added UNDI
support, where the BIOS supplies the driver for the network card, but
the patch made Grub rather flaky.

There is nothing special about TFTP-booting Xen with Grub, the same
rules apply as when booting Xen from disk with Grub. Find some howto on
TFTP-booting, and adapt it to use Xen instead of e.g. Linux.

Good luck,
Jacob