[Xen-devel] Getting a console on the Intel mac / ioremap

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Getting a console on the Intel mac / ioremap
From: Marco Gerards <mgerards@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 17:47:35 +0200
Delivery-date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 08:42:08 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

As you might have noticed by now, I am working to get Xen working on
the Intel Mac, this is for Google's Summer of Code.  I am trying to
get Xen booting from EFI now.  In order to do some debugging and of
course for a proper port, I need to have a console.

Currently booting is done from EFI in graphics mode.  The chipset is
not running in a VGA compatible mode so I can not switch back to text
mode using the code in xen/drivers/char/console.c:init_vga.  I think
this can be solved by switching back to VGA mode by programming some
registers on the card.

The problem I ran into is that only the first 4 MB (see
IOREMAP_MBYTES) is usable when using ioremap().  For example, the
videocard I am using does memory mapped IO at 0x90380000, thus above
this 4MB.  Changing IOREMAP_MBYTES just like that isn't possible
either, it seems.

What would be the right way to change the way ioremap will work, or is
there an alternative way I can use to get access to this IO memory?

Thanks,
Marco