RE: [Xen-devel] Questioning the Xen Design of the VMM

To: "Steven Rostedt" <srostedt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Questioning the Xen Design of the VMM
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 19:14:31 +0200
Cc: Al Boldi <a1426z@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:15:21 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sure, this code-snippet enters protected mode (bit 0 of CR0) and sets up
FS from the Global Descriptor Table. FS visible part (16 bits) gets set
to the value 0x10, and the limit is set to whatever happens to be in the
descriptor table, and I didn't actually specify what that value is, but
rather implied that the value for the limit is (0xfffff << 12 | 0xFFF)
(i.e. the limit is 2^20 - 1 and the granularity bit is set to 1 ->
multiply by 4096 and set lower bits to one).

As we leave protected mode, the contents of FS is still maintained,
including the 80 bits of hidden information (limit, base and
attributes).

However, if we then take an interrupt (or otherwise need to save/restore
FS), we'd loose all the hidden bits, and restoring it later would need
to figure out "how it got loaded" to make sure it's hidden parts are
re-loaded.

It's unlikely that you'd see this scenario in Xen, since Xen works on
para-virtual kernels [unless we've got virtualization hardware, in which
case the hypervisor CAN SEE the internal parts of FS (or any other
segment register)].

Another tricky situation is:

        GDT[5] = {base = 0x1000, limit=0x1000, attr=<something> }
        FS = GDT[5];
        CLI();
        GDT [5] = [base = 0x2000, limit = 0x1000, attr=<something> }
        FS = GDT[5];
        STI();

Now, whilst this tricky code is unreliable on real hardware too (if
interrupts were enabled), if you have a situation where the guest can
not accept interrupts, but the hypervisor can, it would break if the
code with ... in it were to have an interrupt, because we'd have lost
the value of FS (we'd reload the NEW value of GDT[5] at the end of
interrupt, assuming it saves FS).

Hidden parts of segment registers is one of the "security features" of
the 286 architecture, but it also creates some pretty interesting
scenarios for us programmers...

--
Mats