[Xen-devel] Re: Communicating with the domU from dom0 without Network

On 07/08/06 12:18 -0400, Michael LeMay wrote:
This is precisely the sort of problem that the Keir's proposal seems to
address.  I've copied my comments on the proposal below; perhaps we can
discuss them further now since nobody was interested when I originally
posted them. :-)

Sounds like RDMA, with some xen optimization. Would be good to see
this happen.

Mike

The bottom of page 18 in the Xen Roadmap proposal recommends considering
how to "export byte stream
(TCP) data between domains in a high performance fashion."  For
communications that occur between domains on a single physical machine,
it would seem logical to setup a new address and protocol family within
Linux that could be used to create and manipulate stream sockets via the
standard interfaces (I'm focusing on Linux at this point, although
similar adaptations could be made to other kernels).  Then, behind the
scenes, the Xen grant tables could be used to efficiently transfer
socket buffers between the domains.  This should involve much less
overhead than directly connecting two network frontends or performing
other optimizations at lower layers, since it would truncate the
protocol stack and avoid unnecessary TCP-style flow control protocols.