[Xen-devel] Communicating with the domU from dom0 without Network

To: Muli Ben-Yehuda <muli@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Communicating with the domU from dom0 without Network
From: Ligesh <xen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 18:10:15 +0530
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 05:34:57 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Hi Folks,

  I would like to have a discussion on whether if it isn't desirable to have
some mechanism to directly communicate with the domU from the dom0. Wouldn't
that make managing this entire setup much easier? In the openVZ, the vzctl tool
can actually run anything inside a virtual machine. For instance, we can say
'vzctl exec $vpsid ps ax', and it will return the output of the 'ps' executed
inside the vps. I realize that the virtualization concept is radically
different in Xen, and thus this type of communication would be non-trivial.

  Anyway, I would like to know the pros and cons of having a direct mechanism
to communicate with the domUs. As far as I have seen, the inability to manage
the domUs directly has been the ONLY drawback of xen.

  Thanks in advance.