[Xen-devel] Re: [patch 3/8] Allow a kernel to not be in ring 0.

To: Chuck Ebbert <76306.1226@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch 3/8] Allow a kernel to not be in ring 0.
From: Zachary Amsden <zach@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 21:26:23 -0700
Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Rusty Russell <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-kernel <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, virtualization <virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 21:26:49 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 17:25:13 -0700, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

We allow for the fact that the guest kernel may not run in ring 0.
This requires some abstraction in a few places when setting %cs or
checking privilege level (user vs kernel).

I made some changes:

a. Added some comments about the SEGMENT_IS_*_CODE() macros.
b. Added a USER_RPL macro.  (You were comparing a value to a mask
   in some places and to the magic number 3 in other places.)
c. Changed the entry.S tests for LDT stack segment to use the macros.

These changes look great. Ack-ed. I had some similar ones before that never made it from my tree, as I got carried away and tried to unify the user descriptor conversion functions... someday I'll get to it again.

Zach