[Xen-devel] AGP problem with 64-bit Xen on Athlon 64

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] AGP problem with 64-bit Xen on Athlon 64
From: Brian Uhrain <buhrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:55:39 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 01:29:19 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I have tried both Xen 3.0.x and a recent checkout of xen-unstable.hg (from several hours ago) on my dual-core Athlon 64 system, and I am unable to get DRI working with my Radeon 9550 in the domain0 using either version of Xen; DRI using the r300 driver works just fine with a plain kernel. In Xorg.0.log, DRM complains about not being able to initialize AGP, and in dmesg I see following two errors that only show up with the Xen kernel:

Linux agpgart interface v0.101 (c) Dave Jones
agpgart: Detected AGP bridge 0
agpgart: unable to get memory for graphics translation table.
agpgart: agp_backend_initialize() failed.
agpgart-amd64: probe of 0000:00:00.0 failed with error -12

[drm] Initialized drm 1.0.1 20051102
GSI 19 sharing vector 0xB8 and IRQ 19
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:00.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:01:00.0 to 64
[drm] Initialized radeon 1.25.0 20060524 on minor 0:
[drm:radeon_cp_init] *ERROR* radeon_cp_init called without lock held, held 0 owner 0000000000000000
 ffff880072effb80
[drm:drm_unlock] *ERROR* Process 948 using kernel context 0

Any suggestions for getting DRI working or for debugging the problem? I've seen the exact same errors with Xen on my Athlon 64 laptop that has a Radeon Mobility 9700 graphics chip. I've searched the xen-users and xen-devel mailing list archives and also searched on Google but have not found any useful information--I have found cases where people have reported the same types of error messages (some were with SIS or Intel AGP chips), and the responses to those reports all seemed to be along the lines of "it should be fixed now" (usually with the other chipsets/32-bit systems, and in threads over a year old), "it's a xen issue" (from a fairly recent report of the same r300 trouble on a 64-bit system to the LKML), or just silence. I'd really like to see this problem be resolved and am willing to do what I can to help resolve it.

Also, if anyone needs more info about the problem or the environment(s) I am seeing them in, or have ideas/patches they wish me to try, please let me know.

Thanks,
Brian Uhrain

P.S. I am not currently subscribed to any of the xen mailing lists, so be sure to also send any replies directly to me. :)