Re: [Xen-devel] Domain saving and filesystem corruption

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Domain saving and filesystem corruption
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 16:13:00 -0500
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tracy R Reed <treed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 14:13:42 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keir Fraser wrote:

On 25 Jun 2006, at 01:32, Tracy R Reed wrote:

I mentioned this to someone on the IRC channel and they said "That is
documented behavior." Unfortunately that doesn't bring back my data. It
wasn't documented when I started using Xen and I can't possibly keep up
on everything written about Xen in the meantime.

I'm not sure if the behaviour is documented, but it certainly isn't new. Save/restore has always behaved like that -- a filesystem should be considered 'locked down' by a guest except when the guest OS is shut down cleanly. No interlock is enforced or metadata maintained for this in open source tools.

You really ought to avoid save/restore/migrate when not using network or checkpointable storage. You will almost certainly eventually get some sort of corruption.

I didn't realize xend actually tries to save domains on shutdown. Seems like a bad idea to me. Is this correct? Is this only for domains started with /etc/init.d/xendomains?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

 -- Keir