[Xen-devel] Re: need to compile 32bit on x86_64 cpu

"Anand Gupta" <xen.mails@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 6/22/06, Petersson, Mats <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >  I tried using
> > "setarch i386 bash"
> > "make clean dist"
> > It's still compiling, but it looks like it might work...
> >
> > [You may need to install setarch on your machine, as some machines don't
> > have it installed as default. setarch allows the machine to set a flag so
> > that when something like uname is asking "What processor is this" the answer
> > will be "i686" instead of "x86_64", and thus tools that use for example
> > "uname -m" to find the CPU type, will figure that it's a 32-bit processor
> > instead of 64-bit.

Or linux32 ...
setarch is a RHism.

> > However, you may need to have certain libraries and other tools installed
> > on the machine to build 32-bit binaries.
> >

> The libraries is going to be one major problem i guess as already the same
> libraries are installed in 64bit mode and the system won't allow both to be
> installed :(

It works on most distributions (SUSE, RH, Mandrake) if you have the
right compat RPMs installed because they follow LSB properly. Normally
the 64bit install should install the right compat rpms by default
together with the 64bit libraries.

The main offenders which seem to be unable to get this right are the Debian
derived
ones (Ubunutu etc.) and Slackware. On those you need to use a chroot hack.
Complain to them.

Basically if your distribution has "lib64" and it isn't a symlink to lib
you should be ok.

Kerrnel compile fine without any libraries BTW - just user tools
need them.

-Andi