Re: [Xen-devel] Unable to set dom0 vcpu to 1

To: "Carb, Brian A" <Brian.Carb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Unable to set dom0 vcpu to 1
From: Ryan Harper <ryanh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:11:53 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "McAfee, Tommie M" <Tommie.McAfee@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Krysan, Susan" <KRYSANS@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Puthiyaparambil, Aravindh" <aravindh.puthiyaparambil@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Subrahmanian, Raj" <raj.subrahmanian@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Vessey, Bruce A" <Bruce.Vessey@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 08:12:20 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
* Carb, Brian A <Brian.Carb@xxxxxxxxxx> [2006-06-08 15:13]:
> > Running xen-unstable changeset 10269 on a Unisys ES7000/one, x86_64,
> > 16 procs, 16 GB RAM under SLES 10 RC1.
> >
> > At startup, dom0-cpus is set to 0 (the default) in the xend-config.sxp
> > file, and dom0 uses all 16 cpus. 'xm top' shows 16 procs, 'xm list'
> > shows dom0 using 16 cpus, and 'xm vcpu-list' shows 16 cpus assigned to
> > dom0.
> >
> > When we try to reduce the procs for dom0 to 1 using 'xm vcpu-set 0 1',
> > the number of procs, as shown by /proc/cpuinfo, reduces to 9. 'xm
> > list' shows dom0 using 9 procs, and 'xm vcpu-list' shows that procs
> > 1-7 have been released, while procs 0 and 8 through 15 are still
> > assigned. Nothing is shown on the serial port.
> >
> > Can anyone shed some light on why the rest of the procs might not be
> > released? Thanks.

On large smp boxes, it takes some time to unplug all of the processors as any
processes that are running on those cpus have to be migrated to another cpu.
On a 32-way, it took 15 seconds to go from 32 to 1.  As I ran xm list, you can
see the number of active vcpus reduce over time.

[root@x460-3 ~]# xm list
Name                              ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State  Time(s)
Domain-0                           0      507    21 r-----  4494.6
Domain-0                           0      507    19 r-----  4495.4
Domain-0                           0      507    17 r-----  4496.2
Domain-0                           0      507    16 r-----  4496.8