Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] ACM ops interface

To: Hollis Blanchard <hollisb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] ACM ops interface
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 17:11:41 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Reiner Sailer <sailer@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-ppc-devel <xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 09:16:36 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 8 Jun 2006, at 16:01, Hollis Blanchard wrote:

If the ACM ops were always passed in a union, we could replace the first
switch with a single copy_from_user(), and also guarantee that
"interface_version" is always in the right place (it's only there
coincidentally now). What do you think?

The interface was deliberately changed away from that style for consistency with other hypercalls. Also to allow larger argument structures to be added to the interface later without breaking backward compatibility (inflating the size of the union).

 -- Keir