[Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] (xen) Possible bug: Memory squeeze in netbac

To: Erik Hensema <erik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] (xen) Possible bug: Memory squeeze in netback driver.
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 15:43:08 -0500
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 13:44:02 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Erik Hensema wrote:
On Tuesday 06 June 2006 23:43, Anthony Liguori wrote:
This is a rather curious path in the code involving rate limiting
that I'm not all that familiar with.  Does it help is you create
the domains with a large maxmem than memory?  For instance:

maxmem = 512
memory = 256

Yes, it does seem to help. I've recreated almost all domains with 16 MB 'headroom', now I can create domains up until the point I run out of loop devices ;-) (6 domU's running ATM) I'll reboot tonight (or shutdown all domains and reload the loop module) and try to start more domains.

I suspected it would but I was hoping it wouldn't. Do this mean that the netback driver needs to be able to increase it's reservation? If so, should we be enforcing (in the tools) that memory < maxmem? Any thoughts Keir?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori