[Xen-devel] Debugging user-space applications with gdbserver-xen?

To: xen-devel list <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Debugging user-space applications with gdbserver-xen?
From: Simon Kagstrom <simon.kagstrom@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 17:16:56 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 08:16:15 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Greetings!

I'm trying to debug the process startup in my guest-OS and was
somewhat confused about how gdbserver-xen acts during the transition
from ring 1-3. If I set a breakpoint in the ring 3 code, my guest os
will just get a debug trap, whereas breakpoints in ring 1 takes me to
GDB.

Is this the indended behavior? (I can see that it makes sense in a
way).

Another thing: how difficult would it be to implement the debugging
support with the debug registers instead of int3? (pointers?) The
debug registers should also enable some other possibilities such as
efficient watch points.

// Simon