RE: [Xen-devel] privileged op emulation

To: "Altobelli, David" <david.altobelli@xxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] privileged op emulation
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 17:51:13 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 08:51:52 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[snip]
> > Are you in this particular case thinking of "weird" side
> effects like
> > the OUT instruction is actually causing a SMI, in which the
> > user-registers are being used for arguments?
>
> Yes, that's exactly the case I'm thinking about.  I have a
> userspace application that basically does:
> iopl()
> Setup registers
> cli
> out -> trigger SMI which looks at registers ...

I think the CORRECT way to solve this is to have a particular port(set)
(administered by the system administrator in the form of a command-line
parameter to the Xen kernel perhaps) be allowed as "direct access" from
the user-mode kernel, so that you get the correct behaviour. Most
anything else would be somewhat wrong in one way or another
[stack-pointer, instruction pointer at the very least would be wrong].

--
Mats