Re: [Xen-devel] New CPU scheduler w/ SMP load balancer

To: "Kamble, Nitin A" <nitin.a.kamble@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] New CPU scheduler w/ SMP load balancer
From: Emmanuel Ackaouy <ack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 11:44:05 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 31 May 2006 03:44:38 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 01:57:47PM -0700, Kamble, Nitin A wrote:
>    I was looking into doing some load balancing (there was none earlier)
> to the domain/vcpu scheduling inside the Xen. And I am glad to see your
> patch is targeting exactly that.
>    I believe the credit scheduler also has sizeable impact on the HVM
> domain performance. Do you have any performance data for the HVM guests
> with your scheduler?

The new scheduler is aggressive about moving VCPUs around to
keep the entire SMP host system busy. The operation to move a
VCPU's context from one CPU to another needs to be reasonably
efficient.

I didn't try this with an HVM guest. Can you help out with
this? I need to look at the code path that moves an HVM VCPU's
context between physical CPUs. We may need to optimize that
path.

Emmanuel.