Re: [Xen-devel] Unable to start PAE Mini-OS from 0x0

To: <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,<aravindh.puthiyaparambil@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Unable to start PAE Mini-OS from 0x0
From: "Bruce Rogers" <brogers@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 06:53:14 -0600
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 20 May 2006 05:54:07 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This is fixed in a patch I submitted a week or so ago, which has not
yet been commented on or accepted.  Could someone please review
the patch and let me know what is deficient.

If it is acceptable I'd like to see it placed in both testing and
unstable.

-Bruce

On 19 May 2006, at 22:35, Puthiyaparambil, Aravindh wrote:

> I am trying to start PAE Mini-OS from 0x0 so that I can get access to
> all 4GB. But it is failing in the builder (line 838 xc_linux_build.c)
> when it tries to pin the L3 table with the following error below.
> Further more, I am not able to bring up Mini-OS from any other address
> other than 0xc0000000.
>
> Is there a restriction on this in i386 PAE? Could someone please
> explain
> why?

Xen absolutely requires that the 4th PAE pgdir slot is filled as Xen
hijacks entries in the pmd to map itself. In fact the builder should
probably simply allocate 4 pmd pages always, and always fill all 4
slots of the top-level pgdir when running on PAE.

  -- Keir