[Xen-devel] Re: Panic in ipt_do_table with 2.6.16.13-xen

To: Patrick McHardy <kaber@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Panic in ipt_do_table with 2.6.16.13-xen
From: Matt Ayres <matta@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 20:01:45 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 15 May 2006 17:02:18 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Patrick McHardy wrote:
Matt Ayres wrote:
I have been noticing this same problem dozens of times and have finally
caught a full trace.  I have run it through ksymoops, but there is no
/proc/ksyms.  Is there a better method for getting information out of
the Code line than using ksymoops in 2.6 kernels?

CONFIG_KALLSYMS will make the kernel decode the oops itself.

That's odd, I had thought that too. This is what "zcat /proc/config.gz | grep KALL" shows:

CONFIG_KALLSYMS=y
# CONFIG_KALLSYMS_ALL is not set
# CONFIG_KALLSYMS_EXTRA_PASS is not set

I take it my run through ksymoops was of no help in diagnosing the problem? The panic is _always_ in ipt_do_table.

The kernel is for Xen, but it does not appear to be related to Xen.

We haven't had problems in that code for ages, so my initial feeling
is that it probably is related to Xen. Do you have any other patches
applied besides Xen? Please also post the full ruleset you're using
and anything else that might appear special about your setup.

I had initially sent my traces to the Xen guys. They have not stated it is NOT specific to Xen, just that's it's unlikely. I did not experience the problem with kernel 2.6.12, just with 2.6.16 (up to .13 bugfix release). I have completely disabled all support for SCTP (protocol/netfilter/conntrack) as I know it is still quite buggy. I know Xen touches the network code a lot, but nothing specific to iptables. I had contacted them twice before LKML as I didn't want to post patch specific problems here. I have no other patches applied besides the Xen patch.

My ruleset is pretty bland. 2 rules in the raw table to tell the system to only track my forwarded ports, 2 rules in the nat table for forwarding (intercepting) 2 ports, and then in the FORWARD tables 2 rules per VM to just account traffic.

I've CC'ed xen-devel on this in case they can provide some insight. I am not subscribed to LKML so please make sure to reply to me also in responses.

Thank you,
Matt Ayres