Re: [Xen-devel] live saving of domU

Jayesh Salvi wrote:

On a little different note, it is amusing to note that VMWare has to do some tricky dance of junction point/snapshot, etc. May be VMWare virtual machines principally use loopback file systems for virtual disk - that's why they have problem in viewing the same file system from dom0 and domU (consistent or inconsistent). Xen allows devices to be used as boot disk. Hence the file system is visible from dom0 and domU the same way (at least RO from dom0). I might be wrong. Correct me if you think so.

Keep in mind, VMware and Xen are very different. VMware emulates a device. That device has state, I presume that they need to get their device into a well defined state. We don't have this problem as we can just detach and reattach all of the devices.

Of course, VMware is advantaged in that they use shadowing paging so they do not have any of the canonicalization problems that we have.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

--
Jayesh