Re: [Xen-devel] Is Xen affected by this x86 hardware security hole?

> Thanks for the resonses.
>
> For those interested in the gory details of a proof-of-concept exploit,
> it's all laid out in the 16-page pdf by Loic Duflot:
>
> http://www.ssi.gouv.fr/fr/sciences/fichiers/lti/cansecwest2006-duflot-paper
>.pdf

Ah, interesting.

It turns out this exploit is something new, in that it's not something I'd
heard of before.  But it looks mostly interesting to OpenBSD.  Why?  Because
OpenBSD has more sane controls on the X Server than Linux, and so the fact
that it can elevate privileges is worrysome.  Since on Linux it (often) runs
with superuser privileges anyhow, this attack isn't the main problem...

Their exploit *does* show that mmap of the video ram, combined with the
ability to access IO port 0xB2 is enough for a root exploit...  I don't know
if fbdev is restrictive enough to prevent this - OBSD have obviously tried to
minimise X11's privileges and still found it circumventable.

Nevertheless, Xen offers confinement.  Also, as Keir pointed out, there are
stricter restrictions on what even dom0 can do (and these can be made even
more strict).

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.