Re: [Xen-devel] peth0 received packet on own address

To: Nivedita Singhvi <niv@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] peth0 received packet on own address
From: Nivedita Singhvi <niv@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 16:41:49 -0700
Cc: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Kirk Allan <kallan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 16:42:18 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nivedita Singhvi wrote:
Ian Pratt wrote:

I've been looking into an issue were in the message file I see: Apr 28 11:43:10 kdell kernel: peth0: received packet with own address as source address

Trying to match the time stamp in the message file to a packet trace captured by ethereal, I found that the offending packets are of the type ICMPv6 Multicast Listener Report Message v2, ICMPv6 Neighbor Solicitation, or ICMPv6 Router Solicitation packets. It looks like

[snip]

Not compiling in support for MLDv2, etc in the kernel

I should have also mentioned, although this is somewhat
tangential to main issue - that if you are not using
IPv6, and the default for your distro happens to be on,
you might want to turn it off per interface by configuring
it in the network interface configuration file..

This is distro-specific, but for example, in FC* you'd
place a NETWORKING_IPV6=no in ifcfg-ethN, for instance.

thanks,
Nivedita