[Xen-devel] Re: Licensing conflict with OpenAFS kernel module

To: Sidney Cammeresi <sac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Licensing conflict with OpenAFS kernel module
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:38:45 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 08:39:14 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sidney Cammeresi wrote:
On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 at 10.27.42 -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
Sidney Cammeresi wrote:
I recently upgraded two Xen domU instances from 2.6.12.6 to 2.6.16.
Because I am running the OpenAFS client on each of them, I took the
opportunity to upgrade that (from 1.4.0 to 1.4.1) which required building
a new kernel module.  (The AFS client is partly in userspace and partly
in the kernel.)

                openafs: Unknown symbol force_evtchn_callback
                openafs: Unknown symbol xen_features
I think you should urge OpenAFS to relicense their module under the GPL.

Well this is not their decision given that the code came from IBM in
the first place.

I note, however, your ibm.com e-mail address.  Do you perhaps know the
channels in IBM to go through to discuss IBM relicensing their code under
the GPL?

I'd suggest bringing this up within the OpenAFS community. If they are making direct use of Xen-specific functions, then they can potentially find a work around.

If we've made it so that a non-GPL symbol depends on one of our GPL'd symbols, then that may be a problem on our part. I don't know whether this is an acceptable thing to do. Sounds like an issue that needs to be discussed on LKML.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori