Re: [Xen-devel] Hard lock of server - saved history from serial consolew

To: "Matt Ayres" <matta@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Hard lock of server - saved history from serial consolewithin
From: "Christian Limpach" <christian.limpach@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 02:29:56 +0100
Cc: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:30:16 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 4/20/06, Matt Ayres <matta@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ian Pratt wrote:
>> Yes, an iptable rule for each IP for bandwidth accounting.
>> Also 4 rules in the raw table and 4 rules in the nat table
>> for port redirection.  I don't see how the actual iptables
>> rules could effect the kernel though.
>
> (!) iptables causes big changes to the way packets pass through the
> kernel.
>
> In particular, it sounds like you may be using connection tracking for
> NAT. There were lots of changes in this area for 2.6.16, one of which
> broke bridging for large UDP and ICMP datagrams.
>
> Seeing what iptables modules you have loaded may be interesting. It
> doesn't look much like a xen issue, but I wouldn't totally rule it out.

Most all are compiled in. I do use connection tracking.  I doubt it is a
  Xen problem anymore.  I am upgrading all kernels to 2.6.16.9 to see if
that fixes it. If not I'll have to try 2.6.17-rcX (whatever is the
latest).  I tried applying it and got many rejects so I don't know how
advanced of a kernel hacker I'd have to be to get that working.

You can get 2.6.17-rc2 from:
http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/linux-2.6.rc-xen.hg

Re 2.6.16.9:  If you drop the patch into patches/linux-2.6.16, you
should check if it changes any of the files in the sparse tree and/or
any of the original files which we copied (-xen suffix).  You'd then
want to apply the changes to the files in the sparse tree as well.

   christian