[Xen-devel] Re: [rfc] "frame number" size in hypercall ABI

To: Hollis Blanchard <hollisb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [rfc] "frame number" size in hypercall ABI
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 09:57:02 +0100
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 01:57:26 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Because the patch is so invasive, I'm now thinking it might be better to
> define a new GETMEMLIST2 dom0 op that uses the new frameno_t type and a
> new xc_get_pfn_list2() wrapper for it. Since PowerPC will need a new
> xc_linux_build.c anyways, that will call xc_get_pfn_list2(), leaving all
> the current "unsigned long" code in place for the x86 and ia64 paths. As
> PowerPC starts implementing features like ptrace, migration,
> libxendebug, we'll need to move over those call chains.
>
> Thoughts?

I would like to avoid introducing new dom0_ops. If an invasive change
is only changing longs into an equivalent typedef'ed long (on x86/ia64)
then it's not hard to reason that it's correct. If it also causes
changes in users of libxc then well, that's a shame, but it's not
fixed by introducing a new dom0_op unless you duplicate every end user
for the ppc architecture too. :-)

 -- Keir