[Xen-devel] Request for a developer: porting an OS to Xen

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Request for a developer: porting an OS to Xen
From: Thorsten Glaser <tg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 13:13:06 +0000 (UTC)
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 06:54:43 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello people,

I would like to ask a skilled kernel developer ;) to port my operating
system to Xen (version 3 and, if possible, 2 as well) in DomU mode (at
least). This is something we'd really like to have, for quite a while,
but none of us (two developers) has got any kernel experience.

The operating system in question is MirOS BSD (http://mirbsd.de/), de-
rived from both OpenBSD (mostly) and NetBSD® (some parts).

I'd like all Xen/i386-specific stuff to be put into src/sys/arch/i386/
and no new "port" (Xen or Xeni386, like NetBSD) to be added since it's
just another kernel (one kernel, not two - we use GENERIC for the set-
up system as well). Files which are shared between Xen/i386 and Xen on
another platform (if we'll ever support it) of course can be placed in
a shared directory (like src/sys/arch/xen-common). A balloon driver is
also something I don't want to miss.

Regarding licencing: if NetBSD® accepts it it's probably okay with us,
even though we have our own licence template which we prefer people to
use for any "new material" (of course not possible if you "steal" code
from NetBSD® which is actually a thing I suggest to keep the work down
to a reasonable amount).

The reward for a MirOS system with a DOMAINU (GENERIC/Xen/i386) kernel
booting and working properly within a Xen system with (e.g.) a NetBSD®
host: you'll get all the beer you can drink in one evening paid by me,
either at the next FROSCON (www.froscon.org), Chaos Communication Con-
gress (www.ccc.de/congress/) or FOSDEM (www.fosdem.org); alternatively
(if you can't come to Europe) we can surely arrange something. You'll,
of course, also be credited huge lots. (Our operating system has seve-
ral hundreds of users world-wide so it's probably not as well-known as
the other BSDs, but it's still an ever-growing number.)

I would kindly like to ask you to direct any responses to this eMail
- to <miros-discuss@xxxxxxxxx> if it's public discussion, Cc'd to this
  mailing list (sorry, I haven't subscribed the mailing list)
- to <miros-dev@xxxxxxxxx> if it's something you want to privately ask
  the MirOS developer team

Thanks in advance!
//mirabile

PS: If you want to do Dom0 support, go ahead... I'd be dead lucky even
    if we'd only get DomU support; NetBSD® as host OS looks great.
existence.              -- Coywolf Qi Hunt