Re: [Xen-devel] xm info showing too much free ram

To: Hans-Christian Armingeon <johnny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xm info showing too much free ram
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 17:45:07 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 09:44:54 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 30 Mar 2006, at 19:43, Hans-Christian Armingeon wrote:

My dom0 has 2g ram allocated, and I have 2.5 G Ram physically in my machine.
I needed more Ram in domU so I did a

If you don't start your domU with a 'mem=2G' or similar as a boot parameter then the domU will be unable to increase its memory allocation beyond its initial boot-time allocation. In this case, 'xm list' is lying to you -- it tells you what memory target the tools has asked the domU to aim for, not what the domU is currently using. :-)

That's my guess anyway -- the free memory reported by 'xm info' is definitely the truth, so 'xm list' is lying and that's probably the reason why. Take a look in the domU and see what it thinks. Also in the domU, look at the contents of /proc/xen/balloon.

 -- Keir