RE: [Xen-devel] [patch] bitops on irq_cpustat_t->__softirq_pending

To: "Hollis Blanchard" <hollisb@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] [patch] bitops on irq_cpustat_t->__softirq_pending
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:25:07 +0800
Cc: jimix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 01:26:54 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Xen/IA64 has percpu hardware pages support and so softirq pending
indicator is put together with other more percpu stuffs placed on the
percpu pages. That can accelerate percpu access a lot.

Another concern is, IA64 supports atomic bitops with different width, just
like x86 while long is double size of integer on IA64. If the similar
approach in this patch is used in other common places, it will add
unnecessary size to xen/ia64.

Thanks,
Kevin

>I think it would be a good idea to make a wiki page that covers the files
>that
>are candidates for sharing. I know Jimi has investigated this subject...

Agree.

Thanks,
Kevin