[Xen-devel] Scheduling questions for I/O activity on Dom0

To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Scheduling questions for I/O activity on Dom0
From: "Amitayu Das" <amitayudas@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:57:14 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:58:45 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I had a quick question. Whenever a DomU wants to transmit/receive, it
needs Dom0 to work on behalf of it to do the needful. Now, I'm
confused about the way no. of packets are transmitted (the next para
will make the things clearer). Consider the different options noted
below and tell me which one is correct.

a. DomU sends 1 packet *ONLY*, waits for Dom0 to serve him. Later
whenever, Dom0 is scheduled, it transmits that single packet; an
inefficient way of doing the things.

b. DomU sends one/multiple packets (>=1) and waits for Dom0 to serve
him. Later Dom0 serves for him whenever Dom0 is scheduled; a more
efficient way of doing the things.

I think (b) is adopted by Xen, but am not sure. Can you guys kindly tell me?

Thanks,
Amitayu