[Xen-devel] Re: [RFC, PATCH 1/24] i386 Vmi documentation

To: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [RFC, PATCH 1/24] i386 Vmi documentation
From: Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:34:35 -0800
Cc: Zachary Amsden <zach@xxxxxxxxxx>, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx>, Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Pratap Subrahmanyam <pratap@xxxxxxxxxx>, Wim Coekaerts <wim.coekaerts@xxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxx>, Joshua LeVasseur <jtl@xxxxxxxxxx>, Dan Hecht <dhecht@xxxxxxxxxx>, Linux Kernel Mailing List <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jack Lo <jlo@xxxxxxxxxx>, Christopher Li <chrisl@xxxxxxxxxx>, virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx>, Anne Holler <anne@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jyothy Reddy <jreddy@xxxxxxxxxx>, Kip Macy <kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Ky Srinivasan <ksrinivasan@xxxxxxxxxx>, Leendert van Doorn <leendert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dan Arai <arai@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:49:20 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
* Andi Kleen (ak@xxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Monday 13 March 2006 18:59, Zachary Amsden wrote:
>
> > +     The general mechanism for providing customized features and
> > +     capabilities is to provide notification of these feature through
> > +     the CPUID call,
>
> How should that work since CPUID cannot be intercepted by
> a Hypervisor (without VMX/SVM)?

Yeah, it requires guest kernel cooperation/modification.

> > +   The net result of these choices is that most of the calls are very
> > +   easy to make from C-code, and calls that are likely to be required in
> > +   low level trap handling code are easy to call from assembler.   Most
> > +   of these calls are also very easily implemented by the hypervisor
> > +   vendor in C code, and only the performance critical calls from
> > +   assembler paths require custom assembly implementations.
> > +
> > +   CORE INTERFACE CALLS
>
> Did I miss it or do you never describe how to find these entry points?

It's the ROM interface.  For native they are emitted directly inline.
For non-native, they are emitted as call stubs, which call to the ROM.
I don't recall if it's in this doc, but the inline patch has all the
gory details.

thanks,
-chris