Re: [Xen-devel] qemu pcnet emulation problems.

To: Nivedita Singhvi <niv@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] qemu pcnet emulation problems.
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:08:02 +0000
Cc: Don Fry <brazilnut@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:08:53 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 22 Mar 2006, at 01:36, Nivedita Singhvi wrote:

Another thing I noticed, that will reduce throughput if corrected, is
that the wrong bit is being examined in the receive path, to determine
if mac level crc should be computed. Right now, the wrong bit is being checked and no mac level crc is being calculated. If the right bit were
looked at, mac level crc would need to be computed, slowing down the
transfers.  However, since no driver cares about the crc right now,
since neither Linux or XP complain, could the code to compute the crc be
deleted?  Maybe just comment that the crc should be computed.
Any recommendations?

I'd really like to continue to avoid the CRC computation between
domains, but intentionally, this time, in a clean way :).

The code should be deleted as the underlying physical transport (e.g., shared memory, physical Ethernet) will ensure link-layer integrity.

 -- Keir