[Xen-devel] RE: [RFC, PATCH 0/24] VMI i386 Linux virtualization interfac

To: "Anne Holler" <anne@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Zach Amsden" <zach@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Linus Torvalds" <torvalds@xxxxxxxx>, "Linux Kernel Mailing List" <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Virtualization Mailing List" <virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Xen-devel" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Andrew Morton" <akpm@xxxxxxxx>, "Zach Amsden" <zach@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Daniel Hecht" <dhecht@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Daniel Arai" <arai@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Pratap Subrahmanyam" <pratap@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Christopher Li" <chrisl@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Joshua LeVasseur" <jtl@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Chris Wright" <chrisw@xxxxxxxx>, "Rik Van Riel" <riel@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Jyothy Reddy" <jreddy@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Jack Lo" <jlo@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Kip Macy" <kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Ky Srinivasan" <ksrinivasan@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Wim Coekaerts" <wim.coekaerts@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Leendert van Doorn" <leendert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Zach Amsden" <zach@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] RE: [RFC, PATCH 0/24] VMI i386 Linux virtualization interface proposal
From: "Anne Holler" <anne@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:03:23 -0800
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 11:39:58 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[Apologies for resend: earlier email with html attachments was
 rejected.  Resending with txt attachments.]

Folks,

I'm a member of the performance team at VMware & I recently did a
round of testing measuring the performance of a set of benchmarks
on the following 2 linux variants, both running natively:
 1) 2.6.16-rc6 including VMI + 64MB hole
 2) 2.6.16-rc6 not including VMI + no 64MB hole
The intent was to measure the overhead of VMI calls on native runs.
Data was collected on both p4 & opteron boxes.  The workloads used
were dbench/1client, netperf/receive+send, UP+SMP kernel compile,
lmbench, & some VMware in-house kernel microbenchmarks.  The CPU(s)
were pegged for all workloads except netperf, for which I include
CPU utilization measurements.

Attached please find a text file presenting the benchmark results
collected in terms of ratio of 1) to 2), along with the raw scores
given in brackets.  System configurations & benchmark descriptions
are given at the end of the page; more details are available on
request.  Also attached for reference is a text file giving the
width of the 95% confidence interval around the mean of the scores
reported for each benchmark, expressed as a percentage of the mean.

The VMI-Native & Native scores for almost all workloads match
within the 95% confidence interval.  On the P4, only 4 workloads,
all lmbench microbenchmarks (forkproc,shproc,mmap,pagefault) were
outside the interval & the overheads (2%,1%,2%,1%, respectively)
were low.  The opteron microbenchmark data was a little more
ragged than the P4 in terms of variance, but it appears that only
a few lmbench microbenchmarks (forkproc,execproc,shproc) were
outside their confidence intervals and they show low overheads
(4%,3%,2%, respectively); our in-house segv & divzero seemed to
show measureable overheads as well (8%,9%).

-Regards, Anne Holler (anne@xxxxxxxxxx)