[Xen-devel] Detecting deadlocks with hypervisor..

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Detecting deadlocks with hypervisor..
From: "Thileepan Subramaniam" <thileepan_@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 18:14:09 -0800
Bcc:
Delivery-date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 02:15:21 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I am trying to see if the hypervisor can be used to detect deadlocks in the guest VMs. My goal is to detect if a guest OS is deadlocked, and if it is, then create a clone of the deadlocked OS without the locking condition, and letting the clone run. While the clone runs I am hoping to generate some hints that could tell me what caused the deadlock.

I simulated a deadlock/hang situation in a guest OS (by loading a badly written module to the kernel) and when the guestOS kernel was hanging, I ran "xm save" from Dom-0. But this command waits forever.

I tried to follow the flow of the .py files (XendCheckpoint.py etc.). These seem to be called when I run 'xm save'. But beyond a point I am not sure what the python scripts do. I also see some libxc files such as xc_linux_save.c, but I am not sure who is using it (Dom-0 or Xen or the XenU). Can someone help me by explaining me what happens behind the scene when "xm save" is called ? Is there any good documentation explaining which actions are done by which layers (eg: python layer, C layer etc).

Also, does it seem viable to clone a copy of a deadlocked guest OS in the first place?

thanks!
- ts